Berkeley Alpha DAC Series 3 Specifications
- Input sampling rate: 32kHz to 192kHz
- Input word length: 24-bit
- Ultra-low phase noise Precision Clocking at 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz and 192kHz sampling rates ± 100 ppm
- Two channel analog stereo outputs: XLR balanced with pin 2 positive and RCA unbalanced
- Digital Inputs: AES – XLR, 110Ω; SPDIF1 – BNC, 75Ω; SPDIF2 – BNC, 75Ω; TOSLINK – Toslink optical connector
- MQA rendering automatically detects MQA Core decoded signals and performs MQA rendering to 384kHz and above
- HDCD decoding detects 16-bit flag at 44.1kHz or 24-bit flag at all sampling rates
- Multiple digital filter options
- Balanced analog output level: +18dBu (6.15Vrms) maximum, +12dBu (3.1Vrms) or lower recommended
- Unbalanced analog output level: 3.25Vrms maximum, 2Vrms or lower recommended
- Digital volume & balance control: 0.1dB/step with .05dB/step L/R gain trim, 60dB range
- Frequency response at ≥ 88.2kHz sampling rates: ± 0.1dB from < 0.1Hz to 35 kHz, - 3dB at 59kHz for 176.4kHz and 192kHz sampling rates
- Distortion at recommended levels: all products ≤ -120dBFS
- THD+N at maximum level: < -110dBFS
- Firmware is upgradeable through signal inputs
- Enclosure dimensions: 2.3”H X 16.7”W x 10.6”D
- Weight: 11.6 lbs.
- Mains power: 100/120/240VAC, 50/60Hz
- Power consumption: 25W
Berkeley Alpha USB
The Alpha USB is an asynchronous High Speed USB Audio 2.0 to digital audio interface designed to provide the highest possible audio quality from computer and music server audio sources.
The Alpha USB has a USB Audio 2.0 Standard input and switch selected digital audio output signal type, either coaxial SPDIF using a BNC connector or balanced AES using an XLR connector. Sampling rates up to 192 kHz and word lengths up to 24 bit are supported.
Great care was taken in the design of the Alpha USB to isolate the noisy computer/USB environment from the digital audio output. The USB receiver and processing are powered by the computer, while the output master clocks and line drivers are powered by a separate isolated linear power supply. There is no DC connection and also a high degree of capacitive and inductive isolation between the USB input and the digital audio output.
Two key factors combine to achieve the excellent audio performance of the Alpha USB; the unprecedented degree of electrical isolation between the USB input connection and the digital audio output and the very low noise/low jitter performance of the individually tested audio output master clocks.
The Alpha USB is designed to work with Apple Macintosh and Windows PC computers and Linux based music servers. For Linux, the operating system must be ALSA 1.0.23 or above. It must also have the ability to select the output device. Apple computers using Snow Leopard or later operating systems also interface directly with the Alpha USB. It is not necessary to install a USB Audio 2.0 Standard driver for those operating systems.
PC’s using Microsoft Windows 10 release 1703 and above do not require installation of the Alpha USB Windows driver and the driver provided with Windows should be used. Only Microsoft Windows PC’s using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and earlier versions of 10 require the Alpha USB Windows driver which is available on the Downloads page.
A User Guide and 6’ power cord are included with the Alpha USB.
Berkeley Alpha USB
Controls & Indicators
- Output Select: switch selects SPDIF or AES type outputs
- Status LED: Green indicates USB Lock, Amber indicates Standby
Request an Audition
Hear the Berkeley Alpha USB. Request your audition today!
Call us at (703) 532-7239, e-mail us at [email protected], or use the form below. We are committed to a no-pressure environment and to providing the very best in customer service before and after you make your choice. We look forward to seeing you!